Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Pink Jobs

I do mostly the “pink” jobs on a boat; provisioning, sewing, cooking, dishes and cleaning. I know this is a not politically correct term, but the phrase is still used. Maybe because cruising women tend to be secure in their abilities onboard, it is acceptable to use such sexist terms. I also, mend sails, turn wrenches, scrape wood, calk, navigate, drive, research, raise the main, and trim the sails. Should Marcus go overboard at sea, his life is in my hands, so I better know how to turn this ship around and go pick him up!

On a boat there are immediate and negative consequences if you are not organized. The galley is not like your kitchen at home. It starts with provisioning, or grocery shopping for you landlubbers. Those of you who know me know home organization is NOT my strong suite.

I have a detailed map of every storage nook and cranny in my boat with elaborate codes to tell me where to locate things. S for starboard, P for port, b for basement (under floorboards) cu for cupboard, sh for shelf, F for forward, v for V berth (the point of the boat where our bed is). Example: Cake mix- ScuF, or something like that, it is a work in progress. The immediate and negative consequence in this case is emptying out cupboards and lifting up boards till you find the missing can of tomato paste. Of course you understand this is all in theory, I’ll get back to you in a couple of months!

Loading my ice box is like strategically planning a battle. OK, what needs to be coldest, what will I use first, what needs to be on top so it won’t be crushed. It helps if you memorize where everything is so you can open the top for the least amount of time possible, sometimes it even works.

Cooking is like standing in a broom closet, while doing dishes, I lean slightly to the right and touch the stove and the ice box is in the corner between the sink and stove. Every time I open the ice box to get something I have to move anything I am preparing. In addition, everything is moving, even at anchor, a swell can make an interesting experience.

After a long day of sailing, first thing you need to do at anchor is make dinner! Breakfast underway is simple, cereal; lunch a sandwich or warmed up soup. Part of my job is morale officer, and a hot tasty dinner goes a long way towards keeping everyone happy and healthy.

Pink jobs? You bet! While it takes a lot of forethought and is a lot more difficult than on land. I think I'm up to the challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment