Sunday, September 27, 2009

Men are from Mars


Finally convinced Marcus to buy some clothes for the trip. His theory is bring 2 pair, one to wear, one to dry. Not the way I think! Lucky for him I have my black belt in shopping. With a little help from Land's End and Sierra Trading Post, I think we will be properly clothed and protected. Sandals, water shoes, shorts, hats, gloves, underwear, bathing suites, quick drying everything and something a little casual/dressy for checking into Mexico, or an important occasion.

Yesterday was under the bowsprit day. I got in our skiff with a heat gun and scraper and got started. It is hard work to scrape varnish; first heat it up with a heat gun (REALLY powerful and HOT blow dryer) then you take a small flat tool and scrape the softened varnish off of the wood. (at all costs, avoid having the hot metal tip of the gun touch any part of your skin, YIKES-wearing gloves helps). Now try it looking up where the hot little strips of varnish rain down on you. Fortunatly my glasses protect my eyes. It is difficult work and goes slowly, but I think I made real progress. Another few hours/days and I'll be ready for the fun/pretty stuff!

I'm working away, and I think I should document this, as I hope to NEVER do it again. Did I mention our bowsprit is all about the nooks, crannies and hard to reach places? I ask Marcus to get the camera and take a picture of this. He thinks I want a picture of the bowsprit and I have to explain I want a picture of ME working on the boat. It never crosses his mind that someone would want a picture with a person in it. In his mind that just clutters up the view. I rarely see a moment when a picture wouldn't benefit from a smiling face in it. See Mars and Venus!

2 comments:

  1. Hey guys,
    I hope all the prep is going really well!
    Keep up the good work!
    -Julia and Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys! Sometimes feel overwhelmed, thanks so much for the encouragement, it means a lot.

    ReplyDelete