Monday, August 24, 2009

Treasures

One of the challenges we have had is money, or lack thereof. One year ago I would have never considered leaving without refrigeration. We are, of course, civilized people. It is as if we remain safe, and warm (or cold) as long as ice cubes are intact. But as I realized the complication of living onboard with all the “things” I considered essentials, I began to understand that if I held tight to the stuff of civilization, as I saw it, we would never leave the dock. Either that, or we need to tow the Queen Mary.

We have gone from over 2000 sq. ft. to a 32ft boat. Someone described it as living in the hall of your house. To suggest we are heading for a minimalist lifestyle may be an understatement.

Simplicity leads to freedom, and that is a revelation to me. I who surround myself with stuff and things. I am a clutter-bug by birthright. My Father is a surrounded by things, my Uncle Carl is the keeper of the past. My Grandparents and beyond did not let go easily. I have passed this legacy on to my children; although in some, lucky for them, it has not taken hold.

But, if I give away my treasures, I find joy in that, and freedom. How nice it is not to have to find a place for this and that: to try to find the other thing, to dust this award or that memento. How wonderful to see my crystal proudly displayed at my daughter’s home or to see a casserole arrive at a family event in my beautiful dish.

Money can control us, and dictate our lives; if we let it. I am discovering what is important to ME. Not what TV or society thinks is important, but what do I value. Now that is a treasure.

1 comment:

  1. I am very impresssed with your new way of life. In fact, I am down right proud of you. Not only your sailing ability but also your writing about it. Keep it up. I will enjoy reading about your adventure. Be safe sailing.

    Kass




















    Safe Sailing,
    K

    ReplyDelete